The City of Victoria has made changes that will make installing a secondary suite even easier for homeowners. Each individual grant will equal 25% of construction costs, to a maximum grant of $5,000. Eligible construction costs are defined as the value of the actual building materials and contracted services, and service upgrades to facilitate the development of the secondary suite. Ineligible costs include volunteer and owner’s labour, tools, appliances, related permit fees, and any service or material without appropriate documentation or not directly attributable to the development of the secondary suite.
Applicants must be the owner and occupant of the single family detached house within the City of Victoria boundaries for which the grant is requested.
Those considering applying for this grant should note that building permits for secondary suites issued prior to the start of this program will not be eligible for the grant funding.
- You will need to follow the steps below in order to receive the grant:
- Confirm your property meets the zoning and regulatory requirements.
- Apply for your Building permit.
- Submit your completed grant application forms. Grant application forms are available at City Hall, or here - [PDF 44KB].
- Do not assume approval of grant monies until receiving notice of eligibility.
- Pick up your approved Building Permit and complete all necessary construction and applicable inspections to build a legal secondary suite.
- Apply for your Occupancy Permit.
- After your Occupancy Permit has been issued and a Partnering Agreement signed with the City, submit your eligible receipts to the City of Victoria in order to receive the grant.
This grant program is a one-time incentive offered on a "first-come, first-served" basis. The program will continue until further notice.